jordan.terrell
Just trying to make sense of things...

Updated RSS Feed

Wednesday, 26 September 2007 17:01 by jordan.terrell

I'm now using FeedBurner (now owned by Google) as my primary RSS feed provider.  Please update your subscriptions the the following URL:

Thanks!

Categories:
Actions:   E-mail | del.icio.us | Permalink | Comments (0) | Comment RSSRSS comment feed

Update: Resource List

Wednesday, 26 September 2007 15:50 by jordan.terrell

I posted about a resource list that I'm now maintaining in a Wiki.  I was also maintaining a separate list of items that I call the Parking Lot - I've now moved that list into the resource list.  I've made a few updates since I last posted about the resource list, so if you have a moment, take a look.

Categories:
Actions:   E-mail | del.icio.us | Permalink | Comments (2) | Comment RSSRSS comment feed

Zune for $135

Friday, 21 September 2007 09:42 by jordan.terrell

Update: Woot has now sold out of Zunes.

If you interested, for today only (Sept. 21, 2007) you can buy a new Zune for only $135 from woot.com.  Woot sells one product a day and as such this will be available only for today.

Tags:
Categories:   General

Request to add operator to the C# language

Friday, 14 September 2007 11:01 by jordan.terrell

I just submitted a suggestion to add an operator to C#.  I kept the sample on the suggestion simple, but I'm really trying to enable a scenario like this:

1:  public class SomeClass
   2:  {
   3:      private List<string> _Strings = null;
   5:      public List<string> Strings
   6:      {
   7:          get { return _Strings ?= new List<string>(); }
   8:      }
   9:  }

In this sample if _Strings was null, it would create a new list of strings, assign it to the _Strings variable, and return the newly created list from the getter.  However, if _Strings was not null, the getter would simple return the list referenced by the _Strings variable.

If you like this idea, go ahead and vote on it!

Tags:
Categories:   .NET | Programming

They Aren't Reading Blogs

Thursday, 13 September 2007 09:33 by jordan.terrell

This may be "preaching to the choir", but it never ceases to amaze me that there are still development/technical leads that are not reading at least a few blogs regularly.  I've gotten into the habit of reading by blogs daily, and this has resulted in so many benefits.  The shear number of tools and techniques I've found because of the technical blogs out there I can no longer number.  It's like having hundreds of team members all doing research and development and reporting on their findings.  It has gotten to the point where I almost no longer peruse web sites with technical content - the information just flows to my RSS reader.

If you're not reading blogs regularly, START NOW!  Omea Reader is a nice client-side RSS reader, and you can pick up a copy of my feed list on my public resource list.

Tags:   ,
Categories:   General

Resource List

Friday, 7 September 2007 14:06 by jordan.terrell

For the past 1 1/2 years I've been maintaining a word document that contains links to resources that I've found useful.  I've managed to email it to my co-workers and a few friends, but it has become cumbersome to maintain it this way.

I found a great open-source wiki platform called ScrewTurn that I'm now using to maintain this resource list.  Let me know what you think - and if you have any additional resources to recommend, let me know!

Tags:
Categories:   General

Excellent Post by Jeremy on Dependency Injection

Friday, 7 September 2007 13:23 by jordan.terrell

A very well reasoned, thought out post on the use of dependency injection:

The First Compile

Friday, 7 September 2007 11:19 by jordan.terrell

When I first create a .NET project (really any software project, not just .NET), I have a general rule that I try to follow throughout the project:

Anytime someone retrieves the project's source code, so long as they have the correct version of the compiler installed, the first compile should be flawless - no errors, no warnings.

Anytime I pull down a project/solution (open source or internal company project) and this is not the case, I already have a sour taste in my mouth, so to speak.  I've seen binary references that were not included with the source, tools needed to build that were missing, hard coded paths, and so on.

Having a continuous integration server build your project is a good way to ensure that this experience happens throughout a project's life cycle.  Plus, you don't have to deal with other developers interrupting you to ask: "Can you help me get this project to compile?"

Just something to think about...

Please, Delete Your Code

Wednesday, 5 September 2007 15:45 by jordan.terrell

I'm on a project right now that is very large and take quite the mental footprint to wrap your head around it.  This is exacerbated further by the fact that over the years (yes, I said years) that the majority of the developers who have working on the project have a fear of deleting any lines of code or code files that are no longer in use, but instead leave them in place, commented out.  Sometimes there are entire files and entire SUBSYSTEMS that have been commented out, and left to rot in the project tree.

Now, before you start to call me crazy, I'm not talking about permanently loosing code.  That would be foolish and irresponsible.  I'm talking about source code that is stored on a version control platform (e.g. Subversion, CVS, Perforce).  If your not using version control, I recommend you start using it immediately - even if you are a one-developer team. But if you are using version control, there is no point in keeping thousands of commented lines of code in a project files when you can go into version control and retrieve code that you've deleted at a later time.

So here is my plea: PLEASE, delete (not obliterate) the code you are no longer using!

Vacation

Wednesday, 5 September 2007 10:42 by jordan.terrell

Just got back from a long vacation (much needed) and I had time to think about a number of blog posts I would like to write.  Stay tuned...

Categories:   General